Saturday, March 9, 2013

It may have been a rumor...

Friday...

Friday was an emotional day for this mommy because Alexander was fussy majority of the day. He would fall sleep for about 5 minutes and then wake up, crunch up his legs, and cry for awhile before falling back to sleep. I'm thinking he had gas and was given medication for it last night (which seemed to help). The beginning of the day started off interesting. During rounds, we were informed thatAlexander gained a little bit of weight! :) I discussed with the team, that since there was a rumor of us going home next Friday, what would be going on with some of the feedings(would the NG tube still be there? Was there was going to be an increase in Cc's?). The NP and rest of the team, were all surprised to hear this and therefore, the date isn't accurate. The NP said that if we went home next Friday, that would be great but probably wasn't going to happen. So our date to go home is still unknown. The NP also stated that I could increase the breast feeding time to 10 minutes during the day and at night, his bottle feeding would continue. The NP told me that an increase in Cc's wouldn't happen because they are still watching his respiratory rate and the NG tube will be removed prior to going home, if he can keep his weight up. She then came in after rounds and informed me she could relate to where I was coming from because she is also a new mom that is breast feeding! I wonder if she found my blog-because why the change?


Today was a much better day! He slept most of the day, only waking when his vitals were checked, needed a diaper changed, or when I woke him for feeding. Today, we had a new NP  (actually she wasn't new because she saw Alexander while in the ICU) and she stated to put the bottle feeding on hold, and breast feed around the clock, every 3 hours.Talk about a change in doctors! So tonight, Wes and I are staying at the hospital, so that I can breast feed every 3 hours..just like if I was at home. Bottle feeding was attempted last night but Alexander couldn't be woken up at the two different feedings- he was just to tired. Alexander did lose a little bit of weight, but the team didn't seem worried about it and that he seemed to be staying in the same area. Breast feeding went well today too! He latched on for 10 minutes each time. Some of the nurses think that if he continues to do well tonight, into tomorrow and has gained weight, that the NG tube might be removed! :) Hopefully this is true!..

Snuggle time with daddy!

3 comments:

  1. Oh I love those snuggle pictures!! Stay positive b/c you will get a release date soon! I remember that in between phase where the lack of communication between nurses and doctors was SO frustrating.....But the good news is that you get to nurse him around the clock!! yay!! Also just wanted to say that Keira was exactly like that, fussy some days and sleepy others...later I started wondering if it was a milk protein allergy and then even later (@ 3mo old) when we found blood in her stool it was then diagnosed as that.....still keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo of you and Alexander! I'm so happy for you that he's breast feeding! Blessing to you and your precious family!!
    Much love!
    Renee:0)

    ReplyDelete