Friday, March 1, 2013

Still in CICU, but should be moving soon!

Sorry everyone for not updating on a daily basis. Alexander has continue to stay the same, with small improvement that his doctors are happy to see. However, Alexander has managed to send me on an emotional roller coaster the past two days with breast feeding exposure and his oxygen levels.

Yesterday, his oxygen level and his respiratory rate continued to fluctuate, which worried me all day. In addition, he was fussy majority of the day. Wes and I weren't sure if Alexander was fussy because that is what baby's do or if he was in pain. So anytime Alexander cried, we rocked him, provided him his pacifier and checked his diaper constantly. Some of these things worked and he would calm down for a few minutes and then start crying again. We discovered this morning that his fussiness was most likely related to his GI tract getting adjusted to the food he was consuming. Once he had a bowel movement, he was fine. So we've learned that our boy doesn't care to be wet (who does though?), enjoys being soothed by his pacifier  and wants to be rocked majority of the time. I can't wait to be home and use our rocking chair instead of rocking him in a regular chair.

With yesterday and today's feedings, he continues to tolerate the feeding amount. Yesterday, the nutritionist set his goal for 34 cubic centimeters (cc's) and by the end of today he should be meeting that goal. He could actually be sent home in-taking 34 cc's. So next step is taking food (breast milk) by mouth! I've continued to expose him to the breast while he gets his feeds, but it was VERY frustrating yesterday because all Alexander did was cry. I wasn't sure if I was doing it right and I had no one to assist me! When I asked the nurse this morning to contact the OT, so that I could get some assistance with breast feeding, the OT instructed for me to continue to be proactive with exposing of the breast and that she would reassess him on Monday! So, hearing that had me slightly irratated because I really didn't want another day like yesterday. I tried again this morning. He didn't latch on BUT he didn't cry either! He kept his eyes open when I put him up to the breast and was okay with checking out with what was in sight. :) Needless to say, I was smiling this morning. Let's hope the next feeding goes just as well, if not better...
Yesterday, we were informed that we no longer need to wear the ugly yellow gowns, masks, or gloves!
In addition to the fussiness and frustration, we also moved rooms again yesterday! We are still in the CICU, but we've been told that we are on the "waiting list" to move to Cardiovascular acute unit (CV Acute). Once we are there, it will be come more "hands on" for us parents. There is one nurse for every four patients (currently 1:1) and so parents participate in diaper changes, bathing, delivering medication-parental stuff...so I'm probably going to be busy once we do move. Hopefully that will be in the next day or two. :) Once we move, we are that much closer to going home!



2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for all the continued improvement...it is an answer to prayer, and I am continuing praying for all 3 of you! The family photo sans gowns and masks is beautiful! Keep staying positive and pro-active w/ the breastfeeding...he'll take to it soon...I know how hard it is when they are just fussy and wont latch...but as long as you feel comfortable he will feel comfortable....you guys are doing great! Soon you will be stuck in the rocking chair, with him stuck on you! (and you'll love it even if you are exhausted sleep deprived parents!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww that sucks that you didn't get extra support while trying to breastfeed. I thank god that the doula helped me because I had such a hard time since jackie wasn't latching on right and the doula have me a lot of tips that helped me BIG time, I ended up breastfeeding jackie for a while year :).. I hope you get extra support.because then your frustration and stress level will dramatically reduce... Good luck. Yay no more gowns.

    ReplyDelete