Sunday, March 3, 2013

Today could be the day...

Alexander had another good night and has had a great day! He's finally breathing room air-no more oxygen support! :-) Happy parents here!


Now that Alexander is off of the oxygen, he is continuing to be weaned off the morphine and increasing the volume of his breast milk. Since Alexander was born, he has gained 1 pound! Not bad for a boy that has just started eating! :)

 Tomorrow I will get a chance to talk to the OT breast feeding and hopefully she'll be able to help me with getting Alexander to latch on. I'm also hoping she can help me keep him calm when I place him on my chest, for skin to skin contact. Lately, each time I place him on my chest, he cries and immediately calms down when I cradle him. I keep reading how skin to skin contact is great, but I seem to be having trouble with getting him to like it (at least when his chest is against mine). Anyone have suggestions? I'm sure all you moms do...


A few hours ago, our nurse informed us  that she was working on Alexander's paper work to be transferred to CV Acute and that there may be a room opening up for us by the end of today. Let's hope! Wes goes back to work tomorrow and would like to be in the new room before he leaves. You know it's time to leave when doctors and nurses are commenting "You're still here!?". Keeping our fingers crossed....

8 comments:

  1. So great to see Alexander and his parents doing so well, hope they get you moved today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to see Alexander and his parents doing so well, hope they get you moved today! Love to see all the pictures you put on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, this is great news! I am so happy for you both. I hope you guys get to move soon. Another step closer to home..yeah! Wes, hope you have a good first day back to work and it goes quickly so you can get back to your family. Jess great news about your paper sounds like you did better than you thought. So proud and happy keep it up :-)
    - Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. A stuffed buddy and finally clothes on the little man! He is absolutely adorable - keep the photos and updates coming. I wait daily to see what new things are happening. So elated to hear good news and to see all of you progressing. Planning to come and meet Alexander in April - can't wait.

    With love, prayers and best wishes
    -AA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess,
    Could he possibly be in pain by having his chest against yours? Otherwise, it's pretty normal for babies to like to be cradled/swaddled, it gives them a sense of security feeling that tightness around them, it reminds them of being in the womb. And with everything he's been through, I'm sure that's what it is. He just wants his Mommy holding him, it doesn't matter which way you do it. You guys are doing great and I'm so happy for the improvements Alex is making. I remember Keira's first day with no more oxygen, I just happened to be visiting that day with my Sis. It was so exciting! Still keeping you in my prayers! Hugs!!
    ~Leilani

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such great news to hear! Jess could it be he still has some residual pain from the surgeries...which would get irritated from chest to chest contact? Don't stress out over it too much...babies are complicated and no matter what you read they tend to not follow it (at least that's how Keira was)they also go through phases on what they prefer comfortable...when Keira was in NICU it was difficult to get her to calm down w/ skin to skin, and she would always prefer one breast to the other when nursing (where she would act like she couldn't latch on one side and then the other she was fine...) but she had her days when all she wanted was a bottle and the cradle hold too, and then as she got older refused a bottle... it will all change once he gets home and all 3 of you get into that lovely sleep deprived routine of a newborn :) Just keep doing what feels comfortable for both of you...and trust your instincts...all 3 of you are doing amazing so far! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy!! I love reading about all the progress and seeing the amazing pics. Xoxo Alex!

    -Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm okay I have a few suggestions that may our may not be helpful. Be aware of scents on your chest, either from lotion or perfumes our body wash etc, that may bother him . Also make sure your chest is warm when receiving him, a cold chest may put him off. Try skin to skin contact at different angles, granted taking his delicate nature on mind, jackie liked the skin to skin contact ay like a 45° angle. And lastly.try and remain calm and relaxed, even if he is fussy keep your state calm and relaxed which will hopefully rub off on him, helping him regulate ;).. Dont give up it sounds like you are making slow steady but wonderful progress.. Luv ya guys

    ReplyDelete