Monday, February 25, 2013

2 weeks old today!

Not to much happened today but that Alexander's ventilator was removed and I finally got to hold my baby boy!
Last night was another positive night, keeping his oxygen and blood pressure at great levels and not requiring much pain medication. For today and tomorrow, his pain medication will continue to be closely monitored to be sure there are no narcotic withdrawals. He will start back on getting breast milk through his feeding tube tonight. We are continuing to work on his sucking reflex with the pacifier and he continues to do very well. I hope to speak with a PT and/or OT tomorrow about the feeding procedure. Alexander is still being provided some oxygen into his nose, just to help him be more aware of using his own lungs to breath.

When the doctors were getting ready to remove the ventilator this morning, I was a nervous wreck. Mostly because anytime Alexander has had a big change occur, he doesn't seem to adjust well to it. But he did great today! I cried when I finally got to hear Alexander cry again (last time I heard him cry was the night he was born). Holding him was a little awkward as Alexander still has quite a few lines hooked up. However,  I know that after a few holds, I'll be comfortable enough to want to hold him all day long! :-)

Wes and I are very happy parents right now and may actually get a good night sleep tonight!



4 comments:

  1. Oooohh Jessica what a wonderful belated bday gift.I am so elated you were able to hold him and that he is doing so well.a would still love to visit soon!

    Xoxo
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that you guys finally got to hold your precious baby! Still keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers....it so wonderful to hear all the positive healing he is accomplishing...these baby steps are turning into leaps and bounds :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very Happy belated birthday!!! So happy for you and Wes. Jessica we can see your smile through the mask! All our love and continued prayers. Steve & Tere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww what a wonderful feeling to hold your baby... I'm so happy for you.. ")

    ReplyDelete