Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The past 2 days...

Over the past two days, not a whole lot has happened. Yesterday, Alexander slept all day long! Wes and I were a little worried when we reported our concerns to the doctor this morning, but she assured us that he was looking good and to "never wake a sleeping baby."

Yesterday, Alexander's medications were reduced and he started receiving breast mild through his NG tube. I got a chance to meet with the OT/lactation educator and she had me start exposing breast feeding to Alexander! I was one very happy mommy! I also got to have skin to skin contact with my boy! :) The OT suggested that I continue to have skin to skin contact during each of his feeds, to help with stimulation and preparation for breast feeding.

Today, Alexander has been awake for majority of the day, very fussy though. He also got moved into a crib AND we moved rooms! We are still in the CICU, just in another room. His night went well and today he is requiring a little more assistance with oxygen, as his levels are fluctuating. His doctors report that tomorrow they will begin weening Alexander off the steroids he is currently on and will continue to monitor his morphine dosage, to ensure there are no withdrawals. Skin to skin contact is still going on and exposing him to breast feeding. My day has now been consumed of pumping, staying hydrated, exposing him to breast feeding, pumping, and so on. I guess this is the beginning of parenthood...
If Alexander continues to make great progress, we could possibly be moved to the lower unit (Cardio Acute) in the next few days, which means we are closer to going home! Come on Alexander!! Show us how brave you are!! Be the little superman!!

3 comments:

  1. Amazing news! I'm praying he has no problems latching and breast feeding and that he can go home soon! I can't wait to see pictures of him in his own crib...much love Alex <3

    -Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aimee said exactly what I was going to say....AMAZING NEWS! I am so glad that your OT was pro breast feeding and has helped to start that process with you! I am praying that he takes to it immediately and that he continues to make these ginormous improvements! Continue to take care of yourself too....I hope your eating as well as staying hydrated ;)And your right about the beginning...pumping, eat, drink, pump...soon it will be nurse, eat, drink, change diapers, outfits, nurse... and repeat!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww I'm so happy that you are going to breastfeed, it will put some rolls on him to make him a lil chunky king... Yay!!!! ")

    ReplyDelete