Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Better day today

Today has been a better day. Over night Alex did okay, with his daddy by his side. I slept at the RMH, due to needing some decent sleep. When I arrived this morning, Alexander was sleeping peacefully.  This morning, I mentioned to his nurse that I would like to have him moved from his back to his side because I felt he had been on his back enough. Well, when his nurse moved him to his side, his oxygen saturation began to drop to the 40's. She quickly repositioned his tube and him, and his oxygen saturations began climbing back up. I thought, "fine, I won't bother you".  Today, Alexander has taught me he is on his own schedule and thinks he's in charge.

Alexander was not extubated today. Since he will be having his Glenn tomorrow, the doctors felt it wasn't necessary to extubate when he would need to be intubated tomorrow. Today's goal was to keep Alexander comfortable with sedatives since he wasn't going to be extubated.

Tomorrow. Tomorrow, is the day I am ready to have done and over with! Tomorrow Alexander will be having his Glenn procedure. His surgery will be between 8-8:30 and will last about 3 hours.  The idea of him going on bypass freaks me out! Especially since this is the first time they are actually going into his heart. The first surgery only required a band to be placed on his pulmonary artery. When that surgery occured, Alexander was found to be in heart block before his heart was even touched. Needless to say, I am beyond freaking out about the doctors actually touching his heart.

In addition, to worrying about him on bypass, the possibility of his oxygen saturation dipping to low after his operation worries me too.  I worry  because he does this every time he comes out of surgery! Each time he comes out of anesthesia, his oxygen levels drop. I am basically ready for Friday to be here! I want the surgery to be done and over with and for Alexander to be on his way to recovery. I want everything that is involved with the surgery to be behind us. I am praying that everything goes well!

I can't wait to hold my little superman, hear him cry, and see his eyes open again.

Come on Alexander, show us what your superman heart can do! Surprise us all and have NO issues with anything!

1 comment:

  1. I am so amazed at this little guys strength and the strength of his parents. After this is done and behind you guys, good things will be coming your way. Many good vibes being sent your way.

    ReplyDelete